Register for an Australian business number (ABN)
Are you a new business or a new enterprise and need to apply for an ABN but not sure where to start?
Here are a few tips to get you on your way..
* Not everyone needs an ABN. To get one you need to be running a business or other enterprise.
* An ABN is a number that identifies your business. It doesn’t replace your tax file number. You’ll need an ABN for tax and other business activities.
* Registering for an ABN through the Australian Government’s Business Registration Service is free.
An ABN is a unique 11 digit number that identifies your business to the government and community. You can use an ABN to:
- identify your business to others when ordering and invoicing
- avoid pay as you go (PAYG) tax on payments you get
- claim goods and services tax (GST) credits
- claim energy grants credits
- get an Australian domain name
Register for an ABN:
You can apply for an ABN and other key business registrations through the Business Registration Service. Before you register, make sure you have:
- identified your business structure
- proof of identity
- details of your business activities and associates ready
You can find more details and start your ABN application here: